4 Wheel Alignments
What is a 4 Wheel Alignment?
A 4 Wheel alignment is the adjusting of the angles of the wheels so that they are perpendicular to the ground and parallel to each other. The purpose of these adjustments is to maximize tire life and a vehicle that tracks straight and true when driving along a straight and level road.
When do I need an alignment?
- Unusual tire wear. Look closely at all four tires for excessive wear on one side, or wear in a cupped, scalloped or diagonal stripe pattern at edges or across the tread, or uneven wear but with “feathered ” edges on the treads.
- Unusual steering feeling. If the steering feels stiffer than it used to, or if the wheel does not return to the center position when released, or if the car feels skittish and its ridding on “its tip toes”.
- If the steering wheel is cocked to one side when the front wheels are pointing straight ahead.
- While driving, the car wants to pull to one side, tends to wander or weave, or is subject to front end “shimmy”.
- If your car wants to move “crab-like” on the road, with the rear end cocked off to one side while moving straight ahead.